Saturday 25 March 2017

HOW TO FRY THE PERFECT FISH




Red snapper, Tilapia, Herrings,'one man thousand' to mention but a few are types of fishes I love eating (particularly in Ghana), especially when fried.
On my last visit to Ghana, I kept hunting for freshly fried fish to have as a snack (a slight obsession, that won't  go away).

Freshly caught and fried fish is the best thing you could ever have. In Ghana freshly fried fish is readily available all day, from the Kenkey and Waakye sellers. 

My local fishmonger serves me perfectly well with the varied choices he has available. 


Fried fish accompanies dishes like Kenkey, Waakye, Jollof rice, Banku etc (all local Ghanaian dishes).




Ingredients; 

8 medium sized (Sea Bream/Red Snapper/Sea Bass, Red Mullet) cleaned, gutted and cut in half, by your fishmonger. 
Flour
1 litre of Sunflower oil
Salt and Pepper to taste


Tip 
For a crispy skinned, fried fish, wipe the fish with a kitchen paper towel (to get rid of any moisture) , add salt to the skin and leave to rest for 5 minutes before frying. Using flour also helps with achieving a crispy skinned, fried fish 



Method
Add the oil to a frying pan or wok and place on a medium heat. 

Add the flour to a bowl and set aside. 

Test the oil is hot, by adding a tiny cube of bread, if it sizzles, the oil is ready. 

Toss each fish into the flour, till it's completely covered (shake off any excess flour) and carefully drop it into the hot oil. 

Tip;
(Please take all necessary precautions, when dealing with hot oil). 

Fry on each side for 3 minutes and remove it from the oil . Place the fish on a Kitchen blotting paper (to absorb any excess oil). 


Tip
Ensure the oil is hot at (180*c or 350 degrees farenheit) for a crispy, perfectly fried fish. If the oil is too hot the fish will burn and if it's not hot enough it will absorb the oil.



All photos and recipes are by the owner of this blog. Please seek permission and always reference back to my blog. 

Find more inspiring recipes on my Youtube page,like this Masa recipe, 'Ndudu by Fafa'. 


2 comments:

  1. Fafa always kills it 👏🏽

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this! I am putting together a family holiday cookbook for my brother, sisters and cousins, and I was interested in including your recipe for fried fish and an image of the finished fish. My cookbook is not for profit or commercial use; it is simply a PDF collection of recipes for 18-20 dishes that my family likes to eat (we are of Haitian and Ghanaian descent, but live in the U.S.). Since we are not able to gather together as we normally would (due to the pandemic) and enjoy our favorite holiday foods together, I am surprising my siblings and cousins with a set of recipes that will remind them of Haitian and West African foods that we like to enjoy together over the holidays.

    I will definitely include proper attribution and a link to your website on the appropriate page in our small family cookbook.

    Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. I hope to hear from you soon, and I wish you a very happy holiday season!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.