Friday 12 June 2020

HOW TO COOK THE TASTIEST CHICKEN YASSA RECIPE (LEMON and MUSTARD CHICKEN) - A SENE-GAMBIAN DISH

Description

                            

 Imagine bitting into a soft Chicken packed with a tangy, garlicky and somewhat sweet flavour, accompanied by a mouthful of a smoky Fonio(which by the way has more nutrients than Quinoa)! 
Introducing the tastiest Chicken Yassa (Poulet Yassa) originally from SeneGambia and a specialty from the Casamance region of Southern Senegal.


I enjoyed this classic dish with Fonio, which I discovered from Chef Pierre Tham (from Senegal) and based in New York. Honestly it’s my favourite grain now as it has a nutty flavour and much better than Rice, Quinoa and CousCous. I said it!
Chef Pierre Tham has even written a book about Fonio and sells Fonio under his food brand ‘Yolele Foods’ which is available in all WholeFoods shops in the States.
For this recipe I bought my Fonio from Aduna which is also available on Amazon if you’re based in Europe.


Fonio is quick to make provided your have the stock. Talking about stock, I purposely added more stock to my Chicken Yassa as I needed the extra stock for my Fonio. 

TIP
Once you add the Fonio to your stock, reduce the fire to its lowest setting and cook slowly for 15 minutes. 




Let me I start listing the ingredients or I’ll keep talking about this amazing dish all day long!

INGREDIENTS 
1kg of skinless Chicken thighs and drumsticks 
1 large bulb of Garlic
6 large sliced Onions
1 tablespoonful of Dijon Mustard 
4 tablespoonfuls of Olive oil
50g of Butter
1 levelled teaspoon  of milled Black Peppercorns 
1 levelled teaspoon of red Chilli flakes
3 Bay leaves
300ml of your preferred oil for frying 
500ml of Chicken Stock
1 large sliced Lemon
Juice of 2 large Lemons
Salt to taste



FONIO PILAF 
200ml of Chicken Yassa stock
100ml of water
1 teaspoonful of smoked Paprika 
A sprig of fresh Rosemary or half a teaspoon of dried Rosemary 
1 Bayleaf 
180g of Fonio
Salt to taste

METHOD 
Watch how to prepare the tastiest Chicken Yassa and Fonio Pilaf below;




Don’t forget to subscribe, try the recipe, leave comments with your feedback and share.
All photos, recipes and videos are by the owner of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.