Sunday 1 October 2017

THE GHANAIAN RICE PORRIDGE

 

'Rice Water' is basically Rice cooked in water into a mushy porridge texture and it's a popular breakfast choice in Ghana. It's a relatively easy, gluten free porridge to make. The type of rice used isn't specific to one, but what one has available. I've made a brown Rice porridge version which was divine, that I'll share later in this recipe. 
The rice porridge can be enjoyed in its  basic form or add some milk and an optional fruit to enjoy.

 

I remember the first time I had rice pudding in London and my comments were on the lines of 'basically a portion of posh Rice Water'. 🙈

Rice water can be enjoyed at breakfast and also comes in handy during ones hunger pangs, some evenings. 

My very first experience of cooking independently (I was about 8 years old) , was to make Rice water  for my Mum who was ill. It was a disaster as I used too much water, added uncooked rice and ended up with a mushy uncooked textured rice porridge 🙈


Wow! That's a memory; and to think if I ever gave up cooking due to that mishap, you won't be reading this now. 

Whilst enjoying your bowl of Rice water remember never to give up on your dream because of the hurdles you face.

This recipe serves 2.

 

Ingredients 
50g of white or brown rice
300ml of water
A pinch of salt 
1 tablespoonful of Sugar 
100ml of full fat milk

Method 
Wash your rice and place a saucepan with the water on a medium heat.
Add the washed rice  to the saucepan and cook gently for 20 minutes. 
Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and add the Sugar and Milk.
Cook for another 3 minutes and serve immediately. 
I used to have my Rice Water with Tea or Butter bread and Jam. Try it, you might like it to.

Watch how I made this recipe on my YouTube channel, 'Ndudu by Fafa'. Don't forget to subscribe, like the video and share.




All photos and recipes are by the owner of this blog.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.