Sunday 21 August 2016

HOMEMADE SHEA BODY BUTTER & SCRUB


I grew up using Shea butter for my hair and skin in Ghana. Memories of washing and smearing my hair with Shea butter before either braiding it or during my childhood the use of the dreaded stretching comb to straighten my kinky hair(thanks to my Mum)for special occasions.  

The stretching comb and hair straightening  'episode ' was a terrifying experience to say the least. One will watch from the corner of their eyes as the metal comb was placed in hot coal, wiped with a wet towel (which is met with a sizzling noise and steam) and then headed for your hair.  
The heat and smoke that surrounded ones hair after each comb, coupled with the unlucky few moments of the comb touching your ear, was nothing but an anxious, painful and stressful moment. 

WHIPPED SHEA BUTTER & COCONUT OIL

I'm digressing here, anyway I still use Shea butter as its rich in Vitamins A, E , F (which fights against acne, dry skin eczema etc) and acts as a sun block with an SPF of about 6. It also helps the skin to provide its natural collagen which directly helps with wrinkles. 


SHEA BUTTER

Did you know Shea butter is a great product to cook with? I've tried it in some of my recipes and it's incredible. I'll share some more recipes soon using Shea butter and its benefits.

If you're intrigued about using Shea butter to cook ensure you source the Grade 'A' unrefined type, which you can get readily from The Sheabutter Cottage online (UK)or most markets in Ghana. 

I decided to make my own all natural body moisturiser and scrub, with some ingredients I purchased from, the Shea Butter Cottage. 



Ingredients 
250g of unrefined Shea butter at room temperature ( sourced from Shea butter cottage)
250g of cold pressed Coconut oil at room temperature (readily available in most health shops, grocers and supermarkets)
100ml of Vitamin E oil (readily available in most health shops)
Treated Glass jars with lids

How to treat your Glass Jars

A wash in the dishwasher at a higher temperature is sufficient or alternatively;
Wash with soap and water.
Fill the jars with hot water.
Cover with its lid. 
Leave to stand for about 5 minutes. 
Discard the hot water 
Clean the glass with a clean Kitchen towel. 



Method;
Add the Shea butter and Coconut oil to a clean bowl. Using an electric mixer, whisk till its light and fluffy (this should take no more than 5 minutes).

Tip
If your Shea butter is  hard, transfer it into a glass jar and sit it in a bowl of hot water for 5 minutes.

Add the Vitamin E oil and mix till well combined.
Transfer the contents to your glass jars and use as your body moisturiser.

This will keep for 6 months in a cool place. 
I use this as a hand moisturiser and also as a hand and body scrub.




Hand/Body scrub
Exfoliating with the help of sea salt, Himalayan salts, Epsom salts etc helps rid of dead skin, removes bacteria, increases circulation and helps your skin to rejuvenate. It's a natural way to give your skin its natural glow.

The nature of my job means my hands are in water constantly, which in turn rids my skin of its natural oils. 
After each cooking session, I scoop a thumb sized amount of my Shea body butter with a teaspoon of fine sea salt into my palm. 


I rub my palm together and scrub the back of each hand with the opposite hand for about 2 minutes.



 I rinse it off with warm water and wipe my hands  with a clean towel. 



There are days when I treat myself to a full body scrub for that natural glow, using  the above recipe.




 I'll love to hear your feedback, hence don't forget to leave a comment and feel free to share. 

All photos and recipes are by the owner of this blog. 

7 comments:

  1. Jadwal Sabung Ayam Update SV388 27 Februari 2019 di Situs Judi Sabung Ayam Online Melalui Agen Resmi Taruhan Sabung Ayam Live Asli Thailand.

    Situs Judi Sabung Ayam Online SV388 Merupakan Situs Judi Asal Thailand Yang Sangat Terkenal Dengan Permainan Sabung Ayam Yang Fair dan Menghibur Para Penonton Judi Sabung Ayam.

    Untuk Info Lebih Lanjut Bisa Hub kami Di :
    wechat : bolavita
    line : cs_bolavita
    whatsapp : +628122222995
    BBM: BOLAVITA

    ReplyDelete
  2. One gets acne when his sebaceous glands and hair follicles get inflamed. The inflammation causes pimples, whiteheads, blackheads and pustules to appear, commonly on the face, particularly the cheeks and the forehead. body wash for hard water

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote about a similar issue, I give you the link to my site. Satta king 786

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep your expectations low
    In case you're participating in the Satta king fast and Matka games for the essential time then, at that point, keep the assumption for winning absolute bottom. Maybe you wish to do the Satta King 786 different times, notwithstanding how that is anyway exclusively you might be prepared to win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post. I really like your content. It's inspiring and I really like it. Please visit my site.
    Black satta

    ReplyDelete
  6. How to play Satta King game?
    With the advancement of technology, the rules of the game are also changing. A lot of differences have been noticed between the previous Satta King games and the current games. In the past, some Satta number written on pieces of paper were placed in containers or pots. The person who chooses the correct number is declared the Satta king. That means the person is the winner. Nowadays people like to play pc games. Choose the game and start playing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.