Sunday 28 January 2018

THE GHANAIAN GREEN CHILLI SAUCE (PETTIE BELLE, KPAKPO SHITO)

'Shito' in the Ga language from the capital Accra, Ghana, West Africa means 'Chillies'. There are variations of the Chilli sauces in Ghana, ranging from the fresh type (which is more of a spicy, ground Salsa in an earthen clay bowl ) to the cooked variation which is the black Chilli sauce and Kpakpo Shito (The Green Chilli sauce). The sauces are usually enjoyed with Kenkey, Grills, Banku , Yam etc.




This recipe is for the famous Green Chilli sauce, known as 'Kpakpo shito'. It's known as 'Kpakpo shito' due to the type of Chillies used in preparing the sauce. Kpakpo shito are Pettie Belle Chillies, which have a unique spicy and fragrant taste. You can use other Green Chillies for this recipe particularly Jalapenos, however it's best to get the Pettie Belle Chillies for this recipe. 


I've included Green peppers in this recipe to help reduce the spiciness of the sauce, however this can be omitted completely or replaced with Green Tomatoes. 
The sauce has been microwaved for 20 minutes, to allow the sauce to maintain it's fresh Green colour. 




Most people will include Stock cube to the sauce, however I've omitted that. You can use powdered Shrimp instead. This recipe is an inspiring one, hence you have the flexibility of been creative. 


Ingredients
50g of  Pettie Belle Chillies
1 large Onion
1 clove of Garlic
10g of fresh Ginger
30g of Green Peppers
Half a teaspoon of Salt
20g of Coconut oil

Method

Watch how to make this sauce below on my YouTube channel, 'Ndudu by Fafa'. 




Don't forget to subscribe, like the video, try the recipe, comment and share. 
All photos, recipes and videos are by the owner of this blog. 

2 comments:

  1. Hell, Mos Ndudo how are you ? I hope all is well with and family. I am big fun of you show and i love watching your show . I learned a lot from you. I love all your cooking and the taste is remarkable. Most importantly your simplicity and authenticity is amazing, your are my inspiration. I am planning to open a restaurant next year and i will like tour help if possible.my email deku196u@gmail.com i would your input.
    Sincerely
    Zeen B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work. china garlic wholesale

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.