Friday 19 January 2018

KILOMBERO JOLLOF RICE (AN AROMATIC RICE FROM MALAWI)


A few pleasantries with my butcher,  as he handed over my purchases, did I notice this African inspired packaging. I told my butcher to hold his thoughts as I quickly picked a pack of the Malawian rice and queried him about it. This was my first time of hearing about this rice. My butcher assured me of its aromatic flavour as I quickly paid for the rice.
It did cost me £4.00 for 1kg.  I knew this was expensive as I could get 10kg of Basmati rice for about £13.
My drive home had me thinking, why that price tag? I guessed it had to do with the cost of importing it here.
Upon open the bag, I noticed the aromatic smell and I fell in love there and then. The price tag didn’t matter, it’s much better than Thai Fragrant rice. I decided to make the simple Ghanaian rice porridge. The aroma that filled my Kitchen was a fusion between caramel and baking fresh bread. 
I’ve found my perfect short grain rice👌🏾
Naturally, I searched for the product online and purchased a few at a cheaper price.
I decided to use the Kilombero rice for this Ghana Jollof as I wanted my Jollof to be aromatic.
I’ve used the short grain type of this rice for the recipe, which has a higher starch content. The starch content gives you a soft pliable rice when cooked. 
Let’s start cooking 

INGREDIENTS 
350g of Kilombero rice
500ml of Vegetable stock or Water
1 tablespoon of a Ginger, Onion and Carom seed blend
280g of Tomato stew (Recipe on my YouTube channel)
1 teaspoonful of Salt to taste

METHOD 

Watch how to prepare this aromatic Ghana Jollof rice with Malawian rice below;



Don’t forget to subscribe, like the video, try the recipe, leave comments with your feedback and share with family and friends. 
All photos, videos and recipes are by the owner of this blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.