Friday 10 April 2020

THE GREEN PLANTAIN PORRIDGE RECIPE




‘You must immerse yourself in your work.

You have to fall in love with your work.

You must dedicate your life to mastering your skill.

That’s the secret of success’.
 By Chef Jiro.


Over the years, I’ve continued to expand my knowledge about food, culture and it’s history; especially now that the world is in a ‘Lockdown’ to save our lives. 
Imagine my excitement and apprehension when I chanced upon the Jamaican Green Plantain porridge.



Why would I be apprehensive you may ask? In Ghana, West Africa (where I’m from), Green Plantains are either used in making Plantain chips, boiled and served with ones preferred stew, mixed with Cassava and pounded into a pliable texture into a dish called ‘Fufu’ (which is enjoyed with soup). 



 It was during my search for alternative and quicker ways of cooking Ghanaian dishes did I decide to blend Cassava and Plantain together and cook it like you would porridge. 
The only difference this time was to cook it with less water in order to achieve a thicker and pliable paste, that mimicked the traditional pounded version. 

This new process was met with mixed emotions however it has since influenced individuals and influencers to adopt this method.


 For the first time ever I understood the apprehension of most when I introduce new methods and flavours of cooking most West African dishes. Even though my stance was  ‘how would you know you don’t like it till you’ve try it’? 
It’s with this same curiosity and advise i give myself that pushed me to try this Green Plantain porridge recipe.

 I’ve shared my verdict in the recipe video.


Inspired by Chef Ricardo’s Green Plantain porridge video on YouTube, I embarked on a new way to enjoy Green Plantain.
To make this Plantain porridge you’ll need the following ingredients;

INGREDIENTS 
1 large Green Plantain
350ml of Water
250ml of Coconut Milk
Quarter of a teaspoon of Cinnamon powder 
1 tablespoonful of Vanilla Extract
3 tablespoonfuls of Brown Sugar 
Salt to taste 

METHOD 
Watch how to prepare this gluten and lactose free Green Plantain porridge below;


Please don’t forget to subscribe, try the recipe, like the video, leave comments and share. All photos, recipes and videos are by the owner of this blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.